Smart cities are the future of urban development. In Africa, efforts are underway as a number of countries are harnessing the capabilities of new technologies to connect, secure, and enhance the lives of their citizens.
By 2050, the World Bank predicts that nearly 70% of people will live in a city; with this projection in mind, high potential African tech startups operating in the field of Smart Cities are invited to apply for the Smart Cities Innovation Program (SCIP).
About SCIP 2021
In partnership with the Rwandan government, the Special Initiative on Training and Job Creation and the Tech-Entrepreneurship Initiative “Make-IT in Africa” have launched SCIP to support the growth of the 30 most promising tech startups from Rwanda and other African countries.
The six-month accelerator which is divided into 3 tracks – Smart Mobility, Smart Housing & and Fintech for Affordability will take off in June and end in December 2021.
SCIP aims to equip 30 selected startups with highly specialized technical expertise and connections to build their networks. They will also be able to use Green City Kigali, Rwanda’s flagship smart city project, as a real application case to test their solutions and enter the Rwandan market.
Benefits of participation
- Access to a network of international partners, including public institutions and investors;
- Highly personalized mentoring by business experts;
- Specialized and hands-on training tailored to the needs of startups ;
- Networking opportunity and knowledge sharing with cohort peers.
To be eligible for participation in the program, your startup must:
- Be operational in one or more African countries;
- Focus on delivering innovative smart city solutions (Smart Mobility, Smart Housing, Fintech);
- Have launched product(s) or service and have paying customers;
- Have growth and job creation potential;
- Have social and/or environmental impact;
- Be composed of a strong and motivated team.
Method of Application
If you wish to apply for the Smart Cities Innovation Program (SCIP), fill in the application form here. Note that you will be invited to provide further information about your business and participate in an interview if your application is selected.
Applications expire on Sunday, May 9, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.