Applications are open for the maiden edition of 2021 global WE Empower UN SDG Challenge.
The initiative is targeted at female social entrepreneurs who, through their ventures, promote the UN Sustainable Development Goals and inspire entire communities to act in building an equitable world by 2030.
About WE Empower UN SDG Challenge
The WE Empower UN SDG Challenge is launched in honor of innovative women leaders from around the world who are pushing the SDGs forward through sustainable business practices as well as motivating others to follow suit.
The program spotlights the remarkable contributions women entrepreneurs and business leaders are capable of making to meet the SDGs and solve the world’s greatest challenges at the same time.
WE Empower UN SDG Challenge not only aims to recognize their high-impact work but to offer participants capacity-building training sessions and opportunities to connect with an unparalleled global network to advance their enterprises.
How it will work
For this 2021 edition, the WE Empower Challenge Awardees will take part in events surrounding the 76th UN General Assembly and meet with world-class business experts from across the globe.
In addition, fellows will get to participate in a dynamic pitch competition, hosted by Diane von Furstenberg, a world-famous fashion designer, activist, and Vital Voices Board Member, to present their business for the chance to receive a $20,000 prize.
To qualify for the WE Empower UN SDG challenge, you must meet all of the following criteria.
- Be a woman entrepreneur with lead decision making ability in a business or organization that has been operational for over three years;
- Have at least three full-time staff in your employ;
- Generate annual sales or revenue of at least $100,000 USD;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English;
- Be at least 21 years old;
- Be ready to travel to New York, NY, and participate in all events from Friday, September 17 through Saturday, September 25, 2021 (COVID-19 travel restrictions permitting) AND if necessary, be available to take part in a virtual program from August through October 2021.
Applicants will be evaluated based on a variety of factors, including the following considerations.
Commitment: You must be willing to commit to the entire week of the in-person program (travel permitting) or a virtual program held from August through October 2021 – no exceptions.
Impact: Your business or organization must have a substantial impact on the SDGs and a clear vision for how their business will create the future we want in 2030.
Feasibility: Your enterprises must be able to shape the community dialogue about women’s advancement and the SDGs in their region, and wield the influence necessary.
Applicants will provide basic information about themselves, their business, and their primary country of business. Note that applicants must identify which world region they are located in from the following regions:
- Europe and North America
- The Middle East and North Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Latin America and the Caribbean
What to expect
During the application process, you’ll give answers about how your work relates to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, your vision for a sustainable future, and how you will help foster gender equality through your work.
Also, you will be asked to answer several security questions, provide social media profile information (if applicable), and agree to the terms and conditions within the contest entry form.
Finally, you will be required to submit a two-minute video using the following guidelines.
Please submit a short video of yourself (maximum of two minutes) providing the information and answering the questions listed below, in English. A video submission is a required part of the competition.
In designing your response, please remember that less attention is paid to the quality of your video and more attention is given to the quality of your response. It is acceptable, if you wish, to make your short video using a smartphone.
What to answer in your video
- State your full name (first name and family name)
- State the name of your organization and your job title
- State the name of the country your business is located
- What is the mission of your organization?
- What do you hope to achieve if you are selected to participate as a finalist in this competition?
- What is the impact of your activities on the UN SDGs?
How to submit your video
- Video attachments may be hosted on a video site such as YouTube or Vimeo
- You may also upload a video file within the application platform
- File size should not exceed 20 MB
- Preferred file types are .MP4, .MOV, and .WMV
Do not upload any further written material with your video, as the judges will not consider these. The written component of your entry should be fully explained within the provided form fields.
How to Apply
2021 WE Empower UN SDG Challenge applications will close on Thursday, April 15, 2021. Apply here, if you’re interested.
If you have further questions about the program or the application process, kindly send a mail to [email protected] using 2021 WE Empower UN SDG Challenge Application as the subject.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.