The Agence française de développement has opened applications for the AFD Digital Challenge 2021. High-impact tech startups across Africa are invited to apply.
Since its inception in 2016, the AFD Digital Challenge has been rewarding the most innovative African startups, groups, and research centers leveraging digital technology to solve Africa’s challenges and achieve sustainable development goals in the continent.
Over the last 5 years, the competition has benefitted 35 African startups in terms of financial support and coaching to scale up their businesses.
For this new edition, participants of the AFD Digital Challenge will be tasked with creating innovative solutions to the problems associated with digital transition and those of climate protection and biodiversity, in line with Goal 13 of the UN SDGs.
Themes of challenge
Startups, associations, and research centers will develop sustainable digital solutions on the themes below:
- Preserving natural resources:
- Preventing and reacting to natural disasters, including data and prediction, warning systems, business continuity plans for climate incidents, civil protection systems, etc.
- Contributing to the preservation of ecosystems and helping the most vulnerable populations to adapt to climate change.
Benefits of participation
- International Visibility
- Customized support
You may apply if
- You are the founder/co-founder of an innovative African startup;
- Your project is related to one of the themes presented above and detailed in the rules;
- Your project is already on the market and is in the seed/launch phase;
- Your project has a legal structure as well as a sustainable and autonomous business model;
- Digital technology is at the core of your solution.
How to apply
Click here to register for the AFD Digital Challenge 2021.
Entries close on Wednesday, May 26, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.