A few years ago, Yahoo, Hotmail and some others, used to be pretty popular, but today, Gmail is the undisputed champion and that is simply because, an account is required to use the Android iOS.
Unfortunately, the Android environment, plus the web generally, is not a very safe place, so, every now and then, your security can get compromised, especially, if you are not very security conscious. If you use a gmail account, then, it is wise to check your account, using the Security Checkup feature. The checkup process involves you going through some simple steps:
- Login to your Gmail Account
- Visit myaccount.google.com/secureaccount
- Verify that you have a current recovery phone number and email address along with your security question and answer
- After clicking Next, you will see a list of all the devices that have accessed your account, including geographical locations. This helps you to know if someone had gained access to your account from an unusual location. At this point, you are shown two options, so you can click “Looks Good” OR “something looks wrong” – if you click on “Something Looks Wrong”, then, you will be prompted to change your password.
- Assuming you clicked, “Looks Good”, it will take you to the next page which allows you to check the Apps and Websites connected to your Account. This is a very important step and you should look carefully.
Finally, Click on “Continue to Account Settings” to exit the page.
The cool thing about this feature is that, it is highly proactive in nature, which means that you do not have to wait until your account is compromised before taking action.
Try it out today.