Africa’s young entrepreneurs are relentlessly moving the needle. Like never before, they are taking risks to build phenomenal businesses from scratch, addressing some of the continent’s long-standing challenges and creating job opportunities in the process.
These are exciting times no doubt as various programs are set up to support entrepreneurs who are running ventures that can impact their communities. One such program is AFD For Inclusive and Digital Businesses in Africa (AFIDBA).
Are you a committed and forward-thinking entrepreneur with a desire to help improve the living conditions of underserved communities? If yes, you have a chance to make a difference by applying for AFD For Inclusive and Digital Businesses in Africa.
Launched in 2019, AFIDBA is a multidisciplinary, international, and bilingual program that aims to deepen the digital, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth across the African continent.
In addition, the program is designed to aid enterprises that integrate vulnerable and very low-income populations with little or no access to essential goods & services into their model.
The initiative is funded by Agence Française de Développement (AFD) and has been run by a group of 11 players made up of associations, incubators, NGOs, technical and financial partners collectively driven to contribute to the sustainable economic development of Africa.
On average, 10 candidates who have been pre-selected on the basis of their application file will participate in a 5-week boot camp organized in each of the 4 countries concerned by the call. These boot camps will be organized by incubators in the respective countries.
On average, 5 laureates (selected on the basis of boot camp activities and a final pitch) will join the 6-month acceleration program, join the sub-regional community of AFIDBA entrepreneurs, and prepare their funding request file (note: funding not guaranteed).
To qualify for AFIDBA 2021, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years and above on the date of the launch of the call for candidates
- Be a business owner with intentions to scale-up
- Be a citizen of an African country or have at least one citizen of an African country on the founding team
- Carry out an active project in one of the four countries of intervention namely, Senegal, Morocco, Burkina Faso or Ghana
- Be physically present in the country (or virtually in case of confinement measures taken in the country) to regularly participate between 1 and 2 times per week throughout the 6 months acceleration program;
- Be willing to submit an inclusive entrepreneurial project
How to apply
To apply for the AFIDBA program, each candidate must submit an application file according to the country in which they are located. Note that AFIDBA application forms will be available online on Sunday, April 4, 2021, on the following websites:
All information relating to the call for applications and the program is also available here. Applicants will receive a confirmation email upon receipt and registration of their application. If you have any question, you can send an email to the following focal points:
- [email protected] – France
- Hala EL BOUZIRI, [email protected] – Morocco
- Lamba KA, [email protected] – Senegal
- Esther OSEI, [email protected] – Ghana
- Jana BRAHMIA, [email protected] / [email protected] – Burkina Faso
The call for applications closes for all countries on Friday, February 5, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.