As the market of cryptocurrency keeps growing, the different wallets to store them are also being created.
Knowing about these wallets and how they work is very important soon as to know which wallets are best for you as a crypto trader.
There are different wallets for keeping crypto and one of them is MetaMask.
Metamask is a browser-based crypto wallet that works with Chrome, Firefox, and Brave.
It appears to be an add-on for your browser. It acts as a bridge between traditional browsers and the Ethereum blockchain.
As a result, the wallet may be used in web browsers to store ETH and ERC-20 token keys.
Users can also use a regular browser to browse the Ethereum blockchain and connect to decentralized apps (dApps).
How to use MetaMask
Remember MetaMask is a common web browser that allows you to store Ethereum and other ERC-20 tokens.
The fast, easy, safe and free extension enables web apps to view and communicate with Ethereum’s blockchain.
To begin using MetaMask, first install the extension and create a new wallet. There are numerous marketplaces to find it based on your browser, chrome, firefox, and so on are where to start.
To install the MetaMask extension on the browser you’ll be using, go to the MetaMask webpage. A MetaMask icon will show on the browser right away.
To use the app, simply click on the icon. Generate a special wallet and secure it with a strong password. MetaMask will display a 12-word seed word after you’ve set the password.
This is extremely important because it will be required if you forget your password. You can either copy or save the seed as a file.
So there you have it! The wallet is now configured, and you can begin receiving and sending supported digital tokens.
To buy tokens on the wallet, simply go to the MetaMask interface and select “Buy,” then choose one of the integrated exchanges, ShapeShift or Coinbase, to finance the account.
This implies that the tokens you would like to purchase will originate from sellers on the ShapeShift or Coinbase exchanges, even if you’re on MetaMask. Simply click “Send” and enter the receiver’s public address to send tokens from MetaMask.
Be sure you have sufficient tokens in your wallet to send the message and pay the transaction cost. Accept the transaction after you’ve double-checked the details.
The advantages of MetaMask
Like everything in life, MetaMask has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- It’s free and open-source software. This indicates that it has a sizable development community contributing to its progress
- Customers can back up their accounts with the wallet’s hierarchical deterministic settings
- It features ShapeShift and Coinbase exchanges integrated to make exchanging ETH and other ERC-20 tokens simple
- The wallet’s user interface is simple and easy to use
- MetaMask provides dependable client service
The disadvantages of MetaMask
- There is a higher chance of getting hacked using an online wallet than with other types of wallets, such as hardware wallets
- While MetaMask does not have access to personal information, your browser does. Most browsers, such as Chrome, acquire information about their users, which may jeopardize their privacy.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to blockbuild weekly digest for updates.