Villgro Africa and the Artificial Intelligence for Development in Africa (AI4D Africa) has partnered to uncover African-led AI innovations that will be instrumental in catalyzing the emerging ecosystem towards responsible development of the technology while strengthening the capacity of African innovators with regards to scaling their impact and improving development outcomes.
The program is set to support innovations, policy research, and skills to spur responsible AI development in Africa.
As part of the initiative, an innovation boot camp has been organized for these selected entrepreneurial AI practitioners, to work with them to develop innovative and commercially viable products and services.
Villgro Africa is an early-stage business incubator and impacts investors that transform product and process innovations into viable, scalable businesses that impact the base of the economic pyramid (BoP).
Sectors of focus include:
- Climate Action
Eligibility for participation
African citizens from the East, West or Southern Africa who are attached to a university, research institution, private company, or other related organization.
Benefits of participation
- Funding – Initial investment funding of up to $10,000 for selected innovations
- Access to Networks – Access to development and investor networks from AI4D and Villgro Africa
- Investment Readiness – Receive mentorship and training for up to 3 months that will enable you to communicate effectively with potential partners and investors
- An AI-based innovation with the potential for development impact and scale
- An AI-based innovation with the potential for commercial application
- A multidisciplinary team of three (3) members e.g. comprising academia and industry/private sector
- Align with the principles of Responsible AI Design
- Technical proof of concept will be preferred over unproven ideas
How to apply?
You can go ahead to apply here. The deadline for application is Friday, April 9, 2021
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild.africa weekly digest for updates.