Safaricom PLC, Kenya’s leading telecommunications company has announced its STEM Internship Program 2021 for Kenyan youths who are pursuing STEM careers. By investing in young talents, its objective is to equip them with skills that will prepare them for the future of work.
About the program
The STEM Internship Program is a quarterly event that holds annually. The first quarter is from February-April; the second is from May-July; the third from August-October and the last quarter holds from November-February.
Call for applications takes place once a year which will allow interested participants to choose the quarter of the year they will be available for the internship. To demonstrate its culture of inclusiveness, the company encourages people with disabilities (PwD) as well as female candidates to apply.
Candidates who are interested must meet a set of qualifications and eligibility requirements to participate in the STEM Internship Program 2021.
Benefits of participation
As an intern in the program, you would be eligible for the following benefits:
- Exposure to ‘on job training’ and access to experienced leaders facilitating the program.
- Working closely with different departments across the organization
- Training on how to understand different business challenges, address and solve them through data analytics
- Working with teams performing real tasks, enabling you to develop your skills and build your network to achieve your career objectives
- Access to complex data sets and advanced analytical tools
- Access to domain and technology experts in order to gain adequate industry experience
- Knowledge of different Safaricom products and services
- Participation in ideation, brainstorming sessions on solving data science problems
- Increased knowledge in Software Engineering, Big Data Engineering and Data Science
- Gain an understanding of Agile practices and methodologies
Interested applicants must be:
- Either in the final year of an Undergraduate Degree in these areas: Applied Statistics, Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or closely related disciplines, have completed Undergraduate studies within the past 12 months or currently in a Masters/Postgraduate studies in an accredited higher institution;
- Available for the internship period for any of the quarters selected (Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm for the duration of the program).
Note that knowledge in any digital vertical within commercial e.g. digital marketing, digital sales, data science will be an advantage. Having Dean’s academic recommendation is also a bonus.
- Aspire to gain professional experience, with eagerness to learn and explore the corporate world;
- Possess good oral and written communication skills;
- Willing to follow instructions and at the same time innovatively challenge the status quo will be an advantage.
The following documents will be required at a later stage as part of the recruitment and onboarding exercise.
- An official letter from your college proving you are a student there and/or indicating that you require an internship as part of the requirement for course completion
- A copy of the National Identity Card
- NSSF, NHIF, KRA PIN & Bank account details
- Good conduct & CRB certification (not older than 12 months)
Note that interested applicants will be taken through a competitive recruitment exercise against others applying for the internship program.
If you feel that you are up to the challenge and you meet the abovementioned qualifications, you can apply here. While filling the application form, remember to fill out your candidate profile and attach all relevant documents.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.