Water is one of humans’ most basic needs for sustainable growth, yet people in different parts of the world- more than 40%- struggle to access adequate quantity and quality of water especially in rural communities and poor urban areas.
To address this global need, international organizations have joined efforts to establish humanitarian aid, awareness campaigns, as well as set sustainable goals worldwide to achieve water security.
Accordingly, in 2014, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai launched the Suqia initiative to provide clean water to five million people worldwide.
The initiative also aims to identify how innovative and sustainable technologies can be harnessed to provide solutions to the global water crisis. To this end, the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Water Award was set up to find and support sustainable solutions to water scarcity.
The Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Water Award
Established by HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the global water award aids research and development of new and innovative technologies that source, distribute, store, monitor, desalinate and purify water using renewable energy, solving the water challenges faced communities worldwide.
The Award, held every two years, motivates corporations, research centers, institutions, the youth, and innovators from across the globe to compete in creating sustainable and innovative solutions to the problem of water scarcity.
The Global Water Award 2021 categories
- Innovative Projects Award – Small Projects
- Innovative Projects Award – Large Projects
- Innovative Research and Development Award – National Institutions
- Innovative Research and Development Award – International Institutions
- Innovative Individual Award – Innovative Youth
- Innovative Individual Award – Distinguished Researcher
- Innovative Crisis Solutions Award
- As an international Award, applications are open to companies, innovators, research institution, and students across the world who have leveraged renewable energy powered technologies to produce potable water according to the WHO guidelines.
Value of Award
- Register, fill out, and submit your application form here
- If applicable, attach an official letter from your sponsor institution(s) to your application.
- Applications must be in English.
- Applicants are advised to apply for the appropriate categories to the best of their understanding.
- If applying under the “Innovative Individual Award“, the participant must confirm that the work presented is their individual work.
- The application must be well-articulated, focused, and clearly presented to encompass evaluation criteria.
- All applications must be accompanied by data to demonstrate performance.
Note that the Suqia Application Team reserves the right to dismiss/reject incomplete applications.
Entries to the Global Water Award 2021 close on Friday, April 30, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.