The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative (CYFI), an innovative youth-focused program, is open to citizens of Nigeria and its permanent residents currently based in Lagos.
The goal of this initiative is to empower and mold young Nigerians into ethical, effective leaders, providing successful participants with funding, mentorship, networking, and training opportunities.
What is the CYFI about?
Founded in 2011 by the U.S. Consulate General, the CYFI fellowship owes its name to Walter Carrington, former U.S Ambassador to Nigeria known for his advocacy of civil liberties, democracy, and closer ties between Nigeria and the U.S.
The one-year-long program seeks to unite exceptional, visionary, and skilled Nigerian youths who are committed to applying the ideas and concepts of Walter Carrington in real-life situations.
The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative comprises social innovation projects created by fellows and supported by the U.S. Consulate and private partners.
Upon completion of their projects, fellows who display exceptional passion, experience, skill, vision, and strategic thinking needed to execute their own innovative project will be chosen by the CYFI Board of Directors.
In addition, fellows will remain involved with the CYFI and the U.S. Consulate through its alumni program.
To meet the requirements for the CYFI, interested applicants should possess the following:
- You must have a deep passion for making significant contributions to your community and country at large.
- You must have a unique set of skills and experiences that you can deploy to create impactful solutions.
- You must be able to demonstrate strategic thinking in designing projects based on thorough research, using resources creatively, building or improving on existing systems as well as leveraging collaboration with complementary organizations.
- You must have a vision, clearly identifying the area of social change you would like to impact and how you intend to effect such positive changes.
What is the selection process like?
- Applicants selected for an interview will be given notice by the CYFI Board.
- Interviews will take place at the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos.
What are the values of the program?
- Opportunity to execute actual youth-focused solutions to existing issues in the community/country;
- Access to the U.S. Government resources and contacts;
- Prospect of getting the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors;
- Work with fellow talented and visionary peers from various backgrounds;
- Take part in the Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative Alumni Program
How do I apply?
- Applicants are to provide biographical information about themselves. In addition, they will be asked to complete a hypothetical scenario. All fields are required.
- Although applicants may save the application and return to it at a later time, be advised that incomplete applications will not be considered.
- To begin the application process, click here.
Application for the Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative 2021 closes on Friday, February 5, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.