This call for expressions of interest by AI4D Africa is open to individual organizations or groups of organizations from low and lower-middle-income countries in Sub-Saharan Africa with a proven track record in the design, development, and scaling of climate change and artificial intelligence (AI) innovations.
Only organizations that meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the call document should submit an expression of interest to host the Climate Action Innovation Network.
The call for interest is 32 month program funded by IDRC and the Swedish International Development Agency.
Eligibility for participation
- This call for expressions of interest is open to individual organizations or groups of organizations that:
- Have their headquarters based in lower and lower-middle income countries in Sub-Saharan Africa with preference given for organizations in low- and medium-income countries
- Have a proven record of working in Africa and supporting the design, development, and scaling of climate change and AI innovations in these contexts
- Internal expertise in AI and climate change mitigation or adaptation
- Ability to work in both English and French at a minimum. Other languages a plus.
NB: This call for expressions of interest is not open to individuals or government ministries and agencies, but it is open to public research institutes and public university centers, labs and departments. It is also open to private sector actors.
Scope of the program
The goal of this call is to advance the responsible development and deployment of home-grown artificial intelligence (AI) innovations to tackle pressing challenges emerging from climate change in Africa.
The opportunity will provide funding to an organization or groups of organizations to design and implement an innovation research network of researchers and innovators applying responsible AI techniques to advance climate action in Africa and contribute to a global AI for Climate Action initiative.
The selected organization will:
- Support the competitive selection of high-quality research projects from African innovators and researchers
- Provide conceptual and technical support and guidance to the research network members
- Collaborate with other AI4D and Climate Change networks and communities in Africa
This call is part of the four-year Artificial Intelligence for Development in Africa (AI4D Africa) program and is being developed in collaboration with Climate Change AI.
How to apply
Complete details of all the necessary requirements can be found here. The deadline for application is Monday, April 5, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild.africa weekly digest for updates.