African tech startups are hereby invited to apply for the Space-Tech challenge 2020, which sets to identify, and further help develop new innovators, entrepreneurs, and early-stage businesses in the African space-tech sector into sustainable companies.
The application which opened on Tuesday, September 1, 2020, will showcase online pitches at Geo week in the month of November.
In the month of December, there will be Online business development support and by January 2021, the final pitching will take place after which online incubation, virtual mentorship and access to the peer-to-peer network will follow in the month of February down to April 2021.
Criteria for participation
The participating company must be registered in Africa or at least one of the founders must be an African citizen.
Innovation uses geospatial intelligence to serve one or more of the following industries: agriculture, insurance, retail, sustainability and conservation.
Benefits of participation
The top 10 participants for the Space-Tech Challenge 2020 will:
- Get to showcase their company to a large global audience at GEO Week, an intergovernmental earth observation conference.
- More exposure via media coverage and social media through ZASpace and partners.
- Companies will network with top players in the industry and gain more market access.
- Investment screening by Anza Capital.
- Research Institute for Innovation and Sustainability will provide 1-month business development support.
- During final pitching den, startups will have the opportunity to pitch seasoned judges and top industry representatives.
- Taken from Maxar’s archive, finalists will get ortho-ready satellite imagery; 10x 25sqkm which is valued at $75,250.
Benefits for finalists
- All the finalists will get a 4-month online incubation and virtual mentorship.
- TechTribe will be available to provide access to a peer-to-peer network to the finalists.
- The first-place winner will get SecureWatch Premium 5GB valid for 3 months to the value of $12,500.
- The second place and third place will get SecureWatch Premium 2GB valid for 3 months to the value of $5,000
- And finally, all the classes of winners will have the opportunity to directly pitch their idea to a MAXAR representative.
How to apply
If you have satisfied the listed criteria, then you can go ahead to apply here. The deadline for application is Friday, October 16, 2020.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to cfamedia weekly digest for updates.