The New York Academy of Sciences is inviting young women across the globe to participate in its 1000 Girls 1000 Futures initiative.
If you are a young girl between ages 13-17 interested in pursuing a career in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), this may just be the opportunity you need.
What’s the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures program about?
Women are making positive changes in the world of STEM which is why the Academy, through its 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures, is on the lookout for passionate girls to learn from women in STEM.
The global initiative is designed to empower young women to learn independently and work collaboratively on Launchpad, the Academy’s unique online learning platform.
On Launchpad, students can complete the coursework at their own pace and apply their skills to work on different projects with their peers. They also set their schedule to meet with the mentors during the program year from September to June.
No cost is involved. 1000 Girls 1000 Futures is completely free for participating students.
Mentors are available to guide students throughout the program, from navigating the college application process to setting career goals.
What do I benefit?
Selected receive applicants stand to receive
- Mentorship from female STEM experts;
- Access to college readiness and leadership curriculum;
- Networking opportunity with other girls passionate about STEM.
How can I qualify?
1000 Girls, 1000 Futures is open to applicants around the world; they must be:
- Enthusiastic learners with a keen interest in STEM;
- Between the ages of 13–17 years old;
- Strongly proficient in written and spoken English. Applicants’ English proficiency will be assessed during the application process.
Qualified mentors for 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures need to be:
- Self-identified women who are either pursuing a Ph.D. in a STEM-related field OR currently working in a STEM-related field.
- Able to access at least one communication device with internet capabilities.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Willing to commit to 3-5 hours of program training and participation in the program monthly from September to June.
- Passionate about engaging and inspiring the next generation of young women around the world.
Click here to apply.
Applications are due by Saturday, July 31, 2021, at 11:59 pm UTC. Selected applicants will receive admission decision notifications between September 1 and 15, 2021.
Don’t miss important articles during the week. Subscribe to techbuild weekly digest for updates.